Cheeseburgers and Crispy Red Potatoes - Choline Bitartrate
- 1 Large Pot
- 1 Cast Iron Skillet or Grill Pan
- 1 Heavy Bottom Sauce Pot (2-3 quart)
- 1 lb ground beef (preferable 85:15 or 80:20 ground chuck)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- black pepper
- 4 cheddar cheese slices
Additional Burger Dressings
- 4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pickles, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 4 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 4 leaves of green leaf lettuce
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 lb baby red potatoes
- 1 qt vegetable oil (for 2-3 quart saucepan)
- fine sea salt
- black pepper
- Start by cooking the potatoes first.
Boil Potatoes & Cool
- Bring the potatoes to boil in a pot of water.
- Reduce the heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes well and place them on a tray in a single layer to cool.
- Once the potatoes are cooled enough to handle, gently flatten each potato to crack the skin open and set them aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom cast iron skillet or grill pan over high heat.
- Divide the pound of meat into 4 patties, shape them ¼” larger than the buns, and flatten them with a thinner center. The burgers will contract while cooking and a thinner center is more likely to result in an evenly cooked patty.
- Heat the oil in the pan, season the patties with salt and pepper, and place them in the pan, searing well on both sides for a caramelized crust. When the burgers get flipped to the second side, add the cheese slices to melt while the burgers finish cooking.
While the burgers are cooking, crisp the potatoes
- Heat the quart of oil in a heavy bottom sauce pot over high heat to 350F. Fry the potatoes in small batches until golden brown and crispy. Remove the potatoes to a paper towel-lined tray to blot any excess oil and season well with salt and pepper.
Assemble & Serve
- Split and lightly toast the sesame buns.
- Mix the ketchup, mustard, and mayo together and slather the buns with the sauce.
- When ready, place the cheeseburger patties onto the sauced buns and top with the onion, pickles, tomato, and lettuce.
- Serve the hot and crispy potatoes on the side of the cheeseburger.