Turkey Meatballs and Spaghetti - L-Argentine
- 1 Large Heavy Bottom Pot
- 1 Large Pot
- 1 Large Serving Bowl
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for searing the meatballs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 20 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup basil leaves
For the Pasta
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- In a bowl, place the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, parsley, parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into 14 balls (about 45g).
- Heat a large, heavy bottom pot with a quarter cup of olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Place the meatballs into the pot to brown in batches, making sure to brown all of the sides of each ball. The more roasted flavor the meatball has, the more delicious your sauce will be.
- As you finish each batch of meatballs, remove them to a plate until they have all been browned.
- When ready, add two more tablespoons of olive oil to the same pot and add the onion, garlic, chili flake, and herbs and stir well. Cook over medium heat until the onions are softened. Lower the heat if needed until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add the cans of diced tomatoes plus one can of water (measured with the tomato can) and give the pot a good stir, scraping up any browned bits from the meatballs. This ensures that all of the flavors remains in the sauce.
- Increase the heat to bring the sauce to boil and add the meatballs back in to bring the pot back to boil again.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce has reduced to coat the pasta. Stir in the fresh basil leaves and remove the pot from heat.
While the Sauce has 20 Minutes of Simmering Left
- Prepare another pot of water to boil.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Assemble and Serve
- Divide pasta evenly onto plates and top each portion with sauce, meatballs, and parmesan cheese.